Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
IMO, many .375 H&H's are too heavy. I got this SS New Haven Classic used on the Fire Classifieds, didn't like the weight and sluggish forward feel. I had it chopped to 21", got Karl Feldcamp to flute it. The balance is MUCH better.

With a round like the .375 H&H, losing a few inches of barrel doesn't seem to cost a lot of velocity; it's not a high speed round to start with.

I fine tuned the NH trigger to a crips 3#'s. NECG irons were added, included fiberoptic front with windowed hood. I got this scope used, a Victory 1.5-6x42, which ups the weight to nearly 9#'s. With a VX-3 1.5-5x20, it would be in the upper mid 8# range. Gun without glass and rings is 7# 15 oz. Some like really light big boomers; not me. This one handles lighter than it's scale weight and is about as light as I want.

BTW, I jerked the hot glue bedding out with plairs, drilled holes in the Tupperware to trap bedding, Steel Bedded the lug and forward action. It ain't going anywhere. I sorta like the Win Tupperware shape and feel, don't worry about scratching it...

Posted this before. Karl cut 5 instead of 6 flutes, had to dodge irons. Probably lost 5-6 oz., not counting 3" of a heavy barrel.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

that is a way cool rifle right there!