battue, you are correct that IC was the way to go, but we were young and dumb, or at least mostly inexperienced, and the gun rag scribes of the day recommended Mod as our all round choice. It kind of worked well enough until the advent of plastic wads. All of a sudden we were using guns that mostly patterned full. I bought the poly choke after literally blowing up a quail at close range. On a previous outing, I had decapitated a dove. Saved me the trouble, but I was tearing up too many birds. On the other hand, I killed a pheasant at way too far on my first hunt for them. Spreader loads evaporated, so the choke dingus seemed to be my least expensive option. My final solution was the purchase of a Jap made barrel with screw in chokes for the A-5.

We were not made of money in the '60s. I skipped lunch for months to buy the Browning. Today, I own at least nine shotguns, counting two that my daughters keep. Dad had a saying, "poor people have poor ways." I think he was correct.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero