A bullet like the Barnes X or one of the half dozen or so "modified copies" by other companies in 120 to 140 grain weight should work fine. As would the Nosler Partition or some of the bonded bullets in the 140 to 150 grain weight. A good lung shot with that combo will kill moose all day and every day, but I would get as close as possible as the 7-08 is a good round, but it ain't starting out at high speed like some other 7mm rounds.

If I hunted some place besides Alaska and it was in pursuit of large deer and elk and I did not use my 30-06 I would look long and hard at the 7-08. It is gaining in popularity in Alaska.

I have watched many moose die and for the most part they don't fall over from a broad side lung shot, which is a good place to shoot them as it is a big target. Late at night, close to water or in the thick stuff is where I also like to shoot for some "structure" with parts of the 'boiler room" included if possible. Moose usually sort of hump up and run a short distance on a good lung shot, they are dying, but it some times takes them a few minutes to fall over. I also believe two lung shots kills them faster, as does a bigger hole and an exit hole, simple math for me.

Good luck on the moose hunt.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 04/22/18.