Originally Posted by seattlesetters
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...ed-spitzer-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-20

That’s the one.

Contrary to what some might say, the 120 TTSX is NOT a light-for-caliber bullet. The TTSX is likely to retain 100% of its weight, which means it’ll weigh more than a 160 grain Nosler Partition after they both come to rest. It’ll run circles around lead bullets out of the 7-08.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, of course, and anecdotal experiences can inform them.

I shot the 140 XFB for a number of years in a 7mm-08 and ran them through many caribou (and even a moose) without catching any of them. The first time I loaded the 120 TSX and TTSX and used them on a caribou hunt, a single 'bou stopped a TSX without breaking any of the big bones. (I didn't catch other TSXs or TTSXs on that hunt.)

[Linked Image]

It's not that a light for caliber projectile can't do it since 55 FMJs and the 223 have proven that...as have even various rimfires.

But "can" does not make a thing "ideal" and the 7mm-08, though capable under good conditions, can be improved upon for less than ideal circumstances. There are no downsides to more mass, and only benefits if you happen to smack one of those big bones which can stop even 200+ grains of copper launched by the likes of the 340 Weatherby or similar.

There is no shame, or shouldn't be, in being better prepared.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.