After much calculating, second-job taking, and late nights poring over rifle specs, I ordered a new production Kimber Montana in boring .308 (so my hunting partner and I would have the same ammo). I now need to outfit the rifle with a scope and a sling.

I hunt in wide open NE Oregon and up in the timber, with shots from 75-450 yards on big game and coyotes. For these reasons, I have a lightweight Leupold 6x to put on the rifle for a mountain/backpack hunt, but I want a scope for the other 80% of the time, a variable scope.

I'm not a "scope guy" and have always bought Gold Rings because, well, I live in Oregon and Leupold was always "the brand."

What to do for glass? I have $850 left over in my F/Gun Budget, but I'm prepared for the "save $X more and get Y" comments, so I haven't quit my second job yet. 2.5x-8? 3.5x-10? 4.5x-14? Are the VX3i's good to go? I have a VXIII on my .243 and it has served me well for a pile of coyotes, a mule deer, and an antelope. I'm open to the idea of a heavier scope as the rifle is pretty light. Leupold VX-5? Night Force? Vortex? Zeiss? Tract? Help! My head is spinning!