Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I bought my first 4Runner(and first Toyota) in January. It's a base TRD Offroad and it came with a rear locker and traction control.

Don't confuse traction control with any kind off off-road traction device. It's for slick roads only and won't help a bit in off roading. My Dodge Ram has it and I hear all the time how the 'lockers' on these pickups don't work. It works very well for it's intended purpose. It's a means of controlling slippage on slick roads where the computer will use the brakes and throttle to slightly slow down a slipping tire so it can regain traction.

If you meant Crawl Control instead of traction control, that's something else entirely.

I think there is traction control, on all models. The TRD OFF Road model has the electric locker, and crawl control in low range. I never had crawl control or a locker, and I have been stuck a few times in my 4wd trucks. Never ever came close to stuck in my Outbacks, they are insane.
When it is bad, I use chains, and always got around with those. So I really can't see the need for my area for the locker and crawl control. Again I don't understand the technology. Some guys act like you can't drive on wet roads without 10,000 dollars of aftermarket gadgets and two winches.
It seems to be easier to get a Premium with the TRD off road, than just an OFF Road. I don't want the Premium for a sunroof that I dont use, and could leak, plus it is about 2 grand more. Money aside, less is more sometimes.

I didn't want a Premium, either. However, they offer the Premium w/o a sunroof now.