Originally Posted by Terryk
I am looking at 4runners, and the TRD with the locker rear end is hard to find. If it is available, it usually is a premium model with the sunroof, and I don't want that, or the expense. The SR5 is more common. So I dont crawl rocks for kicks, but I hunt on logging trails. Chains have gotten me home when it gets icy. So I never had them before, should I get them now?

Comments, in no particular order...

1. How about the Trail version, doesn't it come with a locker?

2. If you've done fine without a locker, why bother now? Skill, a shovel, and chains are usually sufficient for many people. Don't underestimate skill. I know dudes who rely on the locker, and carry no shovel or chains. They've got it backwards, and don't know how to drive offroad in the first place.

3. The factory locker is not known for being very strong. Not that you're rock crawling and need a real locker, but it seems like a lot of effort and expense for something that you don't really want.

4. The factory locker will only work in 4-Low, unless you hack the system. Is this what you want?

5. If you need a traction device, you can get an Auburn limited slip diff (LSD) for about $500 uninstalled. This is a cone clutch mechanism and not like the old GM posi (weak). Still, I don't think you need it based on your post. But if you did, you could add it down the road.

6. When it's icy, you probably won't use the locker unless you get stuck in a ditch or drift.

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/10/18.