Keep searching the internet for this guy. He was the real deal when it came to big bears up close in thick stuff. I personally think poachers did him in, whether commercial fisherman or who ever. But, I have no proof either way other then him being a competent shot and very bear savvy. In spite of all of that, a bear could of got him and dragged him in to the thick stuff.

Back when he was a warden many commercial fishermen considered bears, wolves, seals, belugas, eagles and dolly varden competition and had no qualms about shooting them when they had the chance. Part of this mind set was because of the mismanagement of Alaska's resources during the Territory Days. Many of the species I named had a bounty on them.

I consider him as good as any one who ever lived when it comes to dealing with a pissed off coastal brown bear. Whether he was packing his 30-06 and 220 grain soft points or one of his many .375 H&H rifles. That coastal jungle he roamed for years with the many big beasts inhabiting the area, would test any ones character, skills and bear knowledge. He is an Alaskan legend and was one to "ride the river with".

My father-in-law was a Deputy U.S. Marshall during the Territory Days and spent time in Sitka when he was in the Alaska State Legislature. He spoke of Hosea Barber and many of the things that took place in Alaska with the fish and game. Some of it was down right ugly because of commercial interests.

Damn, I wished I had known Hosea....................