Originally Posted by micky
Skane please start a thread somewhere on this forum that tells the story of the deer and the kayak. I am mostly interested in the extraction of that toad in that kayak.

micky,
There's a Kansas thread somewhere (from 2015?) that talks about that one a bit. The ground across the river is spectacular bedding area. Sometimes one can get a crack at them across the river but the setup is more about catching them crossing the river.
Retrieval would be a lot easier to come in from the other side but it'd also blow all the deer out the heavy cover, buggering things for a long time - hence the kayak for retrieval.

Whelen Nut watched the buck jump a fence on the other side of the river some 600 yards away and the deer headed for the heavy cover. He contacted me and said he might have a candidate for rattling across the river.
I showed up and positioned myself where I could see Whelen Nut in his treestand and commenced to making war. From the time I hit the Pack Rack and breaking brush, it took less than a minute and I saw Whelen Nut raise his rifle and I knew game-on......Pow!

The buck dropped on the bank on the other side. The photo was taken on the treestand-side of the river when we got the kayak up on the bank.

A memorable hunt indeed. BobinNH was there for retrieval too, and, his booming voice pretty well blew the deer out of the heavy cover across the river anyway. laugh laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D