Thanks for your reply Pappy.I love the Leupold STD mounts and have read where some say you bend a scope by adjusting the windage so I did a test a little over 1 month ago.
I took off the weaver rail on a T/C Venture and put on Leupold STD mounts on the other the 300 win mag.
I'm an old mechanic of over 30 years of working on most every kind of vehicle so I have a few tools some may not have.
I took the barreled action out of the stock and put it in a shooting/cleaning vise to hold it firmly.
I put a dial indicator base on the recoil lug and the dial on the front dovetail ring.I put a bit of oil on the dove tail as that what Leupold recommended and move it around a bit so it won't freeze up.,I lapped the rings well.
I centered the rings with aluminum dowls just for that purpose and installed the scope with fat wrench torqued to recommended limits.
I adjusted the windage screws and watched the front base move .003(3 thousandths).
Leupold said if any scope won't react to any adjustments the front dove tail may be bound up or frozen so remove scope and front ring and oil it and move it back and forth until it's easy to move then reinstall the scope.
Mine adjusted perfectly with .003 adjustment and when bore sighted it was just close to perfect.Just a tiny adjustment and it shoots close to 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards with my select handloads so I know the STD bases are as good as I need.Just my 2 cents