I hunted the early rifle season in 76 last year. I did not use an outfitter but ended up with my camp about a mile from Greg Pearson's main camp. I talked to him at the trailhead and in his camp. He was very willing to share information so as to avoid bumping into each other. He was not possessive of the area at all. He is a great guy and I ended up hiring him to pack my bull out rather than making a second long round trip with my llamas. I think his area would be a great one to have a drop camp in, and I never saw another hunter there. His guys were cheerful and a pleasure to be around. Can't say anything about their guiding skills but their horsepacking skills were top notch.

I ran into another outfitter at the Squaw Creek trailhead a couple days before the season opened, as I hadn't decided where to go yet. I don't know this guy's name but he was unfriendly, and downright unpleasant when I told him where I was thinking of going (Chief Mountain area). He told me he already had a camp in there and there weren't any elk there anyway, all had moved out, damn shame as he was bringing hunters in the next day etc etc.

Last edited by riverdog; 06/07/18.