Originally Posted by Alamosa
I'll be interested to hear how the forest has come back after the burn a few years ago. Those burned areas might be pretty nice by now. I think that was called the West Fork Complex fire and vaguely recall it burned 110K acres. That forest wasn't healthy and probably will be a good improvement.

The outfitter I talked to down there was one of the established ones and said he only operates the early seasons due to the early winters there. I'd have to dig up the name of the outfit but his name is Sam or Sammy and he is a heck of a lot of fun to talk to. It seemed to me that an outfitter would be most useful if you wanted to go up one of those long canyons that extend south of the Rio Grande toward the Weiminuche. Passing through The Spanish Window in there is something I have yet to cross off my lifetime bucket list.

Alamosa:

I got your phone number via PM. I'll give you a call as soon as I can get some maps together. I'll buy you a beer.

In May I spent a couple of days up at Ruby Lakes. It was still looking pretty bleak then. Things may greening up now though.

I gave Greg Pearson a deposit for horse packing services. He seems like a good guy. He wanted to sell me a drop camp but I don't want to be tied down to a place where some forest service beaurocrat tells him where he has to place his camps.

What's the Spanish Window?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.