I purchased a 17 FB when they first came out, a R700 SPS with 26" barrel which like bobnob17 I shortened to 21". Settling on 15.5 grains of IMR 4198 gave me 3600 fps with 25 gr VMAX. Had a small supply of the 25 gr HP at the time and I sure wish they still made those as they were very accurate from my rifle. Mach IV data being the only available info at the time, I ran 13.5 gr of IMR 4227 at 3500 fps for good accuracy with the VMAXs as well.

My gun from the manufacturer had a burr just inside the chamber that left a small 1/32nd of an inch long gouge in the cases at the pressure ring area. I never ruptured a case and it never impeded function or accuracy so I just left it. Found a 17/222 reamer on clearance from PT&G shortly after and nabbed it up for a future build, that was 10 years ago and that build is still future.

When ever I get the itch I throw the 17 FB back together. A great fur caliber for sure but with less than ideal shot angles I've lost a few dogs using it, so I tend to stick with 50-55 gr SXs/VMAXs in the 222 or 55-60 gr SPs/VMAXs in the 223.

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO