Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I suspect the nature of an essentially unmoderated forum such as this one is to degrade.

Either that, or the part where we all just agree and sing kumbaya is just around the corner., if we just......... keep.......... arguing..............

I dissent.

I think the campfire is pretty well self-regulating in spite of some embedded a-holes.

I've heard about the downward spiral of 24 hour's civility every year since I've joined... I'm member #30.

What I really think threads like this reveal is that our tolerance for vitriol changes, not that the campfire has become any different.

Every now and then I pack up and leave on a six or so month sabbatical just to get away from the place. It's not about the campfire as much as it's about me... I don't like it when I allow myself to get drawn in with some member who has arrested development and say things I wish I hadn't, etc.

Having said all the above, all bets are off when it comes to the whine-fest/echo chamber at the top of the forum. In order to maintain civility I just stay away from that chithole.

Also it goes without saying Ed's a great guy and someone who contributes real value to the forum... but he's a big boy and will make up his own mind.

I agree, utterly. This is my perspective exactly. I didn't join the Fire until 2013, but I was here quite often for years before that. There were many squabbles, much insulting and calling people out ten years ago. And there were very experienced, very intelligent people giving their accumulated knowledge freely, and often with some charm.

This idea of "the good old days" is a human error in perception, so it is going to happen on the internet as well. Certainly, some of the really great guys to have around have decided that spending time in the outdoors is more valuable than posting online about the outdoors. I suspect that age is a factor in that.

I'm a bit more sporadic on the Fire. I've never been a regular poster. I go through periods where I post a lot, and periods where I don't even come to here. That is how I've personally managed the BS, and my ill feelings about it. And yes, I too use the internet and the Campfire as arenas to let out my inner Ass hole from time to time. I don't argue much anymore though, because it just doesn't matter. I didn't come here to make friends, or convince anyone of anything. I didn't come here to make enemies, either.

A last note....what the hell was Junior talking about with the 25 years? There wasn't a viable WWW 25 years ago, let alone forums like this one. I just shake my head at guys like that. Some of us never needed to lie to get laid.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.