JJWise,

The G20 & 21 are the same frame just 10mm vs. 45, same goes for the G29 & 30... again 10mm & 45.

I've had the G21, 29 & 30. Only have the G30 now. I've set my G30 up for 45 Super, which recoils a bit more than the 10mm.

1.) Hold them at your local dealers; the G20/21 are still what I consider too bulky in my hand, shootable but they never felt 'right' (even the SF and Gen 4). While the G29/30 feels great.

2.) The G29 10mm, is one damned loud gun/cartridge... shooting any gun in a confined space (referrring to home defense) is going to problematic for your hearing, the G29 much more so. It's a loud bitch at my uncovered range.

3.) If you go for a G29/30, put pearce grip extensions on the magazines, makes a big difference in the grip (and recoil management)... as my pinkie hangs off of the grip with the factory mag's.

4.) Recoil and controlability of the G29 is nothing to get excited about (as long as You have the pearce grip extensions on the G29/30). Much less than than from a 44 mag.

5.) Like you I (sometimes) will take a pistol hunting, not necessary but I like handguns... usually my G30 because it is the lightest and I feel the ammunition is easier to manage in a magazine (vs. a revolver). Unless I am backpack hunting where unnecessary weight is a major concern.

6.) I use an OWB holster for field carry, IWB for my body type is not confortable with the G21/29/30, also it's not necessary in the woods.

YMMV,

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 07/12/18.

Si vis pacem, para bellum