I checked the rifling, it's 1:16 and the gun is chambered for 22 Long Rifle. The bore is quite consistent with just a few very light spots that I think are lead from the muzzle to just in front of the chamber where there is more leading - until I can get that out any bullet will be made under size and will probably just rattle down the 28 or so inches of cleaner rifling.

Another problem with early 22 ammo was the external lube, early lubes were quite messy and you could buy bare lead ammo, some of the guns from that period have terrible leading, this one is not all that bad, checking the bore from the muzzle it looks quite good. It would not easily chamber a 22 Long Rifle when I got it, it must have been shot a lot using shorts, the chamber did clean up good, still working on the tight spot though.

Non-lubricated 22 ammunition must still have been an issue into the mid to later 1930's, the gun pictured is an early non-gilled Savage Model 6 from ~1935~1936~.

[Linked Image]

Added, I forgot to comment on the dovetailed front sight, I think the reason could that it was just the cheapest & easiest way to do it and it would be durable enough for the intended use of these.

Last edited by GeneB; 07/13/18.