Originally Posted by 260Remguy
To get back on track, the criteria are as follows:

1. 3 rifles that have the same type of action in .22LR, 223, and 6.5 Creedmoor.
2. 3 rifles that are approximately the same size, weight and length, and as close to the same physical specs as possible and still fall within the budget.
3. 3 scopes that are the same make/model/magnification.
4. The primary components, the rifles and the scopes, must be new and readily available over the counter.
5. The budget ceiling is a hard $1,800.

The point of buying a .22 rifle with the same weight and action style as the coyote and deer hunting rifles is so that the boy can fire a thousand or more rounds of inexpensive bulk pack .22 LR at paper targets before he shoots either of the centerfire rifles and will be used to the weight, length, safety location, etc.

I am not a big fan of the Ruger American rifles but in this case they would serve the purpose. It would take some careful shopping but he should be able to get into the three rifles for less than $1200.00 for all three, that leaves $600 for three scopes, which is doable - I was in a gun shop the other day that had the Leupold Freedom 3x9 for $179.00 but even full retail on the is only $199.00 so even at retail he could slide in just under budget. That would set him up with three nearly identical rifles and scopes.

Speaking of the Leupold Freedom scope - they define UGLY. I have to wonder what Leupold was thinking when they came up with that abortion of turret housing design.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.