The first .280 I ever saw was as a teen, it was in a friends Mod 740. He was the "only" one in the area! Later in life, after reading a lot of Jim Carmichael, I bought my very first bolt gun (I'm not counting the Mod 1917 my uncle gave me several years before) a Mod 77 in .280. It had been in the same gun store for a over a year when it was marked down "for the third time". this was in '77-78. I got and started handloading with a LEE Classic Loader, an RCBS bean scale and three loading manuals, ha. I used the factory 150cl that first year's hunt ( while I was gathering up my reloading stuff) shot as nice buck at 15yds ( Big thicket, East, Tx) no challenge, ha. I then handloaded the Hornady 139gr sp over 55gr IMR4831 in those same box of cases all summer! I would load a box, then have to drive 35 miles away to a 200yd range and practice. I went several times that summer. Come that Fall, I shot a nice buck on a pipeline right of way at 276 long steps! I actually "thought" he was around 220yds or so! Sighted +2100 I just held dead on. I found the bullet under the hide on the far side, but it killed that buck so quick he still had a mouthful of grass in his mouth. I killed a hog that year then for Xmas was given my first 7mm Mag, Mod 700. The 280 got traded for a new Colt Python and I used that 7mm for another 10yrs. I Played with a 257AI, but always hunt ed with the Big 7. I could have done everything I ever did with any 7mag with that same Mod 77 .280, ha. But man! I sure had fun along the way! smile