Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Now Art, you're gonna get me confused or maybe get the fish confused. With a riffle hitch maybe the line doesn't come precisely out of the middle of the hook eye... cool

I've never used a riffle hitch but should have a few times. One mid September after a morning hunting deer, a friend and I unlimbered our fly rods and hit a large brawling creek. More rainbows in bigger sizes than most creeks, lots of 10-12 inchers. I tied on a variation of a Yellow Sally, with some gold rib on a grey skinny body and some grey hackle in the yellow. Those fish liked the fly to skitter over/in the surface, swinging in an arc with a tight line on quartering casts downstream. My biggest of the day was back under a log facing upstream where the big log made a dam across the creek. He would wait till the bug or fly was just about to go over the lip of the little falls and then shoot up, grab it and go back down under his log. I saw him take a bug so drifted my fly through but he didn't take till I tried again and skittered the half wet fly across the current. Drag? What is drag?

Silver salmon love to hang in frog water under trees. Dropping back a skating fly on a riffle hitch will cause the fly to move right under the cover and on top of the fish. It can be beyond deadly!

I think you know that I'm not just keyboard joshing when I say that I will try that this Fall. That is an excellent tip! I have watched silvers tuck in amongst the branches of a tree that has fallen in the water and breaks the current.

Many of the small streams I fish silvers in are perfect for this and it really is deadly...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.