I'm not sure where the OP got the idea that finding a good Boykin is a crapshoot, but that's false. Sure there are some bad Boykins, but odds are as good or better at finding a sound hunting dog with them as any other breed. Do your research, find a good breeder, and you will have a good dog.

The breeding pool is significantly smaller than that of most breeds, and most are hunting/trial dogs. The BSS actually states in the code of ethics that pups should be placed in hunting homes, followed by trial homes, over solely companion homes. One of the main breeding standards is to preserve the hunting capability of the breed.

The show ring and pet breeders have not watered down the gene pool, therfore breeding out the hunting traits for other crap like "pretty" ear curls. The pet breeders ruined the Golden Retriever and Irish Setter.

Unless you primarily hunt big water for divers along the coast, you will be hard pressed to find something better than a Boykin for the Carolinas, particularly if you don't want a lab. Lastly I will add, the labs are the standard but a 35 lb dog is much more pleasant to have in a tight duck blind as compared to an 80 lb dog. I have had and hunted with both.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 08/07/18.