I have a Remington 700 classic 35 Whelen with 22 inch barrel. I use 250 grain Speer Hot-Cor bullets but had trouble getting over 2450 fps until I tried RL15. Turns out that my rifle absolutely loves RL15. I worked up hotter and hotter loads until I stopped at 60 grains. There were no pressure signs, at all, but once I chronographed I was more than satisfied. Those 250s are sizzling out at 2770 fps. The only problem was that this load kicked like a mule in that old classic stock. My solution was to put the action into a new Bell and Carlson stock ... which did a lot to reduce the recoil. Then I had a custom brake made by a local gun smith; his brakes actually vent slightly forward, so the concussion is not as bad as brakes that vent back toward the shooter. My Whelen is a dream to shoot and crushes elk and moose.

I have read on threads all over the net that Whelen's love RL15 ... if you haven't tried it, I sure would give it a whirl.

Last edited by WhelenWoods; 08/13/18.

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does. It is up to you to give life a meaning. ~ Jean-Paul Sartre