isaac; You think there's something patently hypocritic about one addict wishing the death of another. I think as long as Mr Tubbs is in the state of mind he's in, he's very qualified to make decisions on the matter...he's BTDT. He knows how wrong he was, and how wrong others are that are busily destroying innocents they come in contact with. My guess is that some actively abusing addicts like I'm talking about would feel the same way---at times. Mr Tubbs deserves all the support we can give him, because he's gone through something awesomely horrible, and he walked away from it on his own because he's got more guts than most of us, and the love of a good woman. My hat is off to him.
I too have the love of a good woman, and would consider life not worthwhile if I lost her because of drugs or drinking on my part (if I was sane enough to realize it). She ended one 20-year marriage because of an alcoholic husband, and losing her makes him the stupidest sob in the world, as far as I'm concerned. He lost an absolute angel because he's that type of addict. He still drinks, and is therefore still stupid, and putting others at risk of harm. Don't need him.
My question to you as an attorney, is how can you question that there are addicts out there that always deserve another chance, when (I assume) you've seen their damage firsthand? Do I misunderstand something in what you say, or do you think there's always enough hope for treatment and recovery in anyone to warrant keeping them "in the system"? I disagree.
The death penalty was more prevalent in the past than it is now, right? Well then, wasn't that due to the popular notion that it eliminated societal burdens? The acceptance of that idea may not be as popular as it once was, but I don't think anyone will argue that if you execute someone, they won't commit any more crimes. It seems to me that alot of hardcore drug users, manufacturers and sellers are repeat offenders, so it's logical to me that the system we use to punish them isn't working well.
So, back to my original premise, with qualifications; Don't need them.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 03/13/07.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.