I've tried several different fabric waterproof sprays over the years, and none of them have been stellar. For next time, I am going to give the Atsko brand a try. Their formula includes fluoropolymers.

Several months ago I read an article about Patagonia changing their proprietary DWR formulas to exclude fluoropolymers due to environmental concerns. My take on the article was that Patagonia was having difficulty finding something that worked as well as their old fluoropolymer formula yet still be less harmful to the environment. For the small amount of fluoropolymer waterproof spray that I will use, I'm not too concerned about its environmental impact.

Also from that article, I learned that wax-based formulas are more prevalent in Europe because of concerns with fluoropolymers. Supposedly, the Nik-Wax brand uses wax-based DWRs, and these aren't too compatible with garments originally treated with a fluoropolymer treatment.

I have used Atsko's Sport-Wash laundry detergent for years with good results. It's scent-free, rinses clean from laminates such as Gore-Tex, and has no U-V brighteners to make your hunting clothes glow in the dark.

Here is a link. Says "fluoropolymer" right on the can....

Atsko Water-Guard

Last edited by CoalCracker; 08/17/18.