I think it boils down to this.
A lot of the nicer scopes will work just fine for you. All scopes can break or malfunction,and a lot depends on how one is used. If you are the kind of person who has to have the toughest stuff,there are about a handful of manufacturers that arguable make the toughest. Among them are the Japan made SWFA, Japan made higher end Bushnell, Nightforce, S&B, and maybe a couple more you could put in there.

That however does not mean that a fairly nice scope in the over $400 range from a lot of other manufacturers wouldn't work. It just depends on how rough you are on your gear,either by abuse or just a lot of use, and what you demand and expect from your equipment.

I mean honestly, I know guys who hunt with scopes $100 or less and kill deer every year. They hunt close to home,and if a scope breaks,it's easily replaced. It is however surprising to me,after listening for years here,to see that their $100 scopes usually work just fine.Even if they are hard to get set sometimes they somehow manage to keep killing several deer a year.

It really just depends of what a person really needs,or just wants.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/21/18.