Originally Posted by TDMax
How do those Conetrol rings compare to the Sako Optilock? Do they slide in and stop like the Opti's? The plastic insert in the Sako looks like a good idea.

No height specs for Conetrol either...

The Conetrols do not have a limiter pin like the Optilocks. They fit very tightly onto the dovetails, however, by way of friction (it's a tapered dovetail, so it's only going to go so far) and a small set screw on top of each base. The set screw really doesn't do much at all, the mechanical friction between a taper that's getting smaller (the base) against a taper that's getting larger (the receiver) is what does the trick.

The Optilocks are very nice also. I use those on my Stainless Sako (see below). I've never had a problem with either brand. The thing I like about the Conetrols is the looks and the height, medium Conetrols being lower than low Optilocks. The thing I like about the Optilocks is the insert, which eliminates alignment problems and scope marks. What I don't like about the Optilocks are the rings screws, which are too delicate (soft) IMHO.

[Linked Image]