jdollar,

Apparently you are totally ignorant of the the fact that larger-caliber, heavier Partitions have the partition moved forward so they'll retain more weight, since they're often used on larger game.

The minimum weight-retention those models are designed for is 75%, IF the front core totally disappears. The models I KNOW are designed that way are the 9.3mm 286, 300 .375, 400 .416 and 500 .458. Of the few of those models I've seen recovered, the average retained weight has been 86.5%, with a maximum of 95.2% from a 400-grain .416 that penetrated a big Botswana buffalo from the rear of the left ribs to the right shoulder. The LEAST I've seen retained by a 300-grain .375 is 263.1 grains, which is 87.7%, or about the same amount retained by Swift A-Frames and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, and in fact I've seen plenty of Barnes TSX (and similar bullets) that only retained around 90% of their weight, due to petals breaking off--and sometimes much less.

The only one of those big Partitions that lost its "petals" and front core was a 286-grain 9.3mm that hit a big blue wildebeest in the right shoulder joint. The bull went about 20-25 yards, staggering all the way, dropping dead. The bullet was found under the hide behind the rear of the ribs on the left side, probably four feet of penetration, retaining 75% of its weight. All the others, from 9.3mm up, retained the rear core and did NOT shear off their "petals."

Last edited by Mule Deer; 09/17/18.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck