I'd say Phil is the only one here that can say unequivocally that it will work. He used an S&W 3953 and 147 grain Buffalo Bore Hard casts. The only other one I know of was down on the Russian river, several years ago. That guy had the same strategy as you. Fling a pile of 9mm rounds at a juvenile bear. Bear ended up taking off and had to be hunted down and dispatched. Shots in the noggin may or may not be effective. Phil got the job done with 7 rounds but he was intimately familiar with parts of a grizzly. Plus he was close enough to ensure he would put the bullets in the exact and correct spots. Like anything else, you pay your money, you take your chances. Personally, I've spent lots of years around bears in Alaska and I got for having an edge with the rounds I'm using. My common carry was a 44 mag 305 grain Buffalo Bore Hard cast. I'm not big on the small bullet theory that is so popular these days. Small bullets puts the onus on the shooter to place those rounds expertly. Phil did it, If you think you can do the same, go for it. I prefer having the fire power edge on my side.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain