Originally Posted by szihn
Got my 1st Antelope of 2018 today. Smallish buck.

Use the old 1903 Mannlicher carbine. 6.5X54 M/S. 160 grain round Nose Sierra bullet 2200 FPS.
Shot was 177 yards. He is in a gully (as you can see from the pic) He stuck up his head and saw me before I got as close as I wanted to, but I was solid for the shot, so I took it. Used the 200 yard blade on the rear sight.. Broadside shot. Hit the neck and the bullet blew out in 3 holes. One big one at the front of the neck (so part of the blast turned 90 degrees) one about the size of a 9MM pistol bullet hole on the other side, and about 1" away was a hole about the size of a 50 cent piece. You can see the entry hole and the hole that blew out the front in one of the pics. Sierras do strange things at times. But it was still a bang/flop so I am happy. But I think I'll use PPU 156 grain RN or Hornady 160 grain RN next time. My rifle is of the type that will only feed RN bullets so my choices are limited.
I have 2 more tags and my wife has one to fill too. We'll go back out tomorrow.
[Linked Image]2018 #1 Ant. Buck 2 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]2018 #1 Ant. Buck by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Grand old rifle....a classic. I hope you get your newly built Enfield 303. sporters out for a hunt this year.

Doc