And celebrate with me. I try not to post too much “personal” stuff on here, but thought I’d make a happy exception.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in April of 2017, thanks to my routine annual physical. (Get your PSA checked every year!) I’d been around a 2 for several years, now a 4.4. My GP said it could be a dozen reasons why it was elevated, and they usually don’t have concerns below a 4, but that’s why we check it every year and he’d send me to another doctor to check it out. After another “physical” and then a biopsy, yep it was cancer. I was 57 at the time, and unless you’ve heard it yourself, having your name and cancer in the same sentence is a whole new experience. At first, you’re thinking, “oh, hell no! that’s some other guy!” Then you accept it and have the conversation with those you love. Then get the referrals as best you can, pick a couple doctors you can trust, go through the decision tree with each of them. For me, it was a pretty straightforward decision, so going to have the radical robotic prostatectomy.

But wait, I’d been planning a drop in caribou hunt in the northern Brooks Range with 3 of my best friends for the past 3 years and was booked for August. (Pics and story I posted last year). So, hey doc, I know this is life or death and I won’t do anything that hurts my percentages, but can I wait until September? Sure, if you’ll take these shots. No long term effects, the cancer will not go anywhere it’s not today (basically dormant), and you can wait until September. If you don’t take the shots, no, he wouldn’t recommend it because it’s going to leave my prostate at some time, and then all bets are off. Any side effects? Yep, among a few others, you’ll have raging hot flashes like a woman going through menopause, but you’ll be able to do your hunt. OK, so sign me up. (He wasn’t schitting about the hot flashes!) Not at my prime for the caribou hunt, but had the trip of a lifetime with my friends. Four great bulls, too much bear contact, everything I had dreamed of.

Surgery on September 11, 2017. Fast forward to the end of this week. Had my 4th 3 month test, I’ll call it my 1 year visit, and I’m cancer free! No chemo, radiation, medication, etc. Will now go on 6 month cycle of check-ups for 4 more years. I know I don’t have the “all clear”, but I’m a blessed and happy man.

I head to South Dakota at the end of next week for the pheasant opener, and to Montana in November to chase Muleys with friends. For me and my family, life is good.

Last edited by USMC2602; 10/12/18.