I will throw in my support for Dan. A quick conversation with him [if there is a quick one :-)] will tell you he is the man for the job. I just finished a build on an out of the box 700 SS magnum action. The thing need more that heavy persuasion to get any round out of the chamber. I took it to my gun smith who barreled the action for me [Proof Research 300 win mag] to make sure there was not a head space issue. He showed me the extraction issue, and told me there was a guy in AK . . . you know the rest. After looking up the threads on the issue, I called Dan.

Long story short, I had him do the following work: Time the bolt for proper extraction, replace the rivet on the extractor ring in the bolt face (mine intruded into the bolt face so far it made took a small bite out of every case), replace the stock, cast Remington bolt handle with a milled SS billet handle from Pacific Tool and Gauge (several size and shape options - i got the short, swept, threaded option) TIG welded on.

He sent it back in a few days. I cannot even believe how smooth the extraction is. I could not be happier and am truly in love with the gun now. The big kicker - all of the work, including postage cost me the same as it was going to cost to get the old Remington cast handle threaded for a tactical knob.

If you have this issue, stop worrying about it, learn how to use a feeler gauge and Call Dan. I will likely send him every 700 action i build on to optimize the timing and make these GREAT improvements.