This rifle was won by my Grandfather in a Big Buck Contest in 1937. He gave it to me about 1982 before he died. I also have the horns that won it.

The story of the horns is pretty good. Back when he shot the buck, they were poor and could not afford to have anything done with them. The sponsor of the contest said he would mount them if he could display them in his shop. Well this shop changed hands a few times but kept the horns kept showing on the wall, the last time in I saw them was in Newton's Sporting Goods around 1980. Well eventually Mr. Newton also passed and the store was closed. One day I went on a CSI investigation trying to find those horns. I eventually came up with the number of the widow of the owner of Newton's. She remembered putting the horns in a shed a couple years back but said I was welcome to come look for them. So I had my grandmother drive me over (some 35 years ago now) and sure enough there that big old rack was. After explaining the story she was happy to give them to me. Well grandma and I took those horns back to their rightful owner. I can still see the expression on his face and remember him saying "Where in the world did you get those", "I never thought I'd ever see those horns again".

That was a great day - and I still use that rifle today (last weekend I shot a nice 3 point mule deer.) I've taken some nice bucks and bulls but nothing even close to that 38" giant he won it with.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope