Originally Posted by lugnut1981
My 9 year old son has a Ruger American compact in 7 mm-08 and the recoil is more than I expected. He’s already using Hornady custom lite reduced ammo. He killed 5 deer up close with it last year but worried he will develop bad shooting habits like flinching. Debating on letting him stick with this gun or trade it in on something else and if so what. What can we do to further reduce recoil. Not wanting a muzzle break or suppressor. Do other youth guns have less felt recoil in 7mm-08 or do you change to .243. I did realize that the Ruger has an 18” barrel and most youth rifles have a 20” barrel. Not sure how much difference 2” of barrel makes. As a side note he shoots left handed and the gun is right handed and would be nice if traded to get him in LH gun. All suggestions would be appreciated.

I have two boys who are lefties. After watching them struggle with basic functions (safety / bolt operation) I decided to get them left handed rifles. Night and day difference. Everything immediately seemed to flow so much better for them. They are shooting Savage Axis ii XP's in 7mm-08 with 20" barrels. They also have generous (factory) recoil pads on them. I started them out 120gr Hornaday custom lite's you did. The recoil is negligible to them and the older boy moved up to 140gr Remington Core Lokt this season without a flinch.

I think part of the problem with the RAC's is the lighter weight (shorter barrel) and short LOP making it really light in the rear. I just recently bought myself a RAC in .308 and even it will get my attention. I think the Savage Axis ii XP scoped weighs in at 7.5 on the scales. But it seems balanced better with the 20" barrel. Heck I like carrying / shooting it. So, I'd say go find him something in left hand and maybe a 20" barrel, or get a slip on pad for another season or two out of the RAC. Regardless, you'll have no trouble unloading that 7mm-08 if you decide to put the money toward something else. They're a very popular little rifle.

There are a lot of people who will say "I'm left handed and have shot right handed my whole life" and that's fine. But go try wiping your rearend for a week with your opposite hand and see which one you'd rather use if you had the choice.