Originally Posted by KenMi
I'd never recommend an AR for a young shooter. And, frankly, I'd never get another one for myself. Played that game once. They are crap, compared to a bolt action rifle half the price.
And a right handed AR would be even worse for a LH shooter.

Some of you guys have funny opinions and lots of guesses. smile

A few points to consider about an AR for a young shooter:

- Easily adjustable to a very short length of pull.
- Light weight; under 6 lb is common, around 5 lb scoped is possible without going too crazy
- Mild recoil, and the 300 Blk, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.8 SPC are plenty potent enough for deer if you don't want to or can't use the 223
- The LH thing is a non issue with proper technique, but LH or ambi parts and even receivers are available.
- Relatively inexpensive right now; entry level AR rifles are selling for less than $400 new.

As I mentioned above my son is using a 300 Blk this year; it's a short AR that fits him like a full size rifle fits an adult. It's only 5.5 lb scoped, so he'll carry it all day without issue, and the recoil and blast are very mild.

He and I both shoot RH most of the time, but both of us practice shooting LH as well. As a lefty, he's better at being ambidextrous than I am, which I've learned is a common advantage for leftys.

As for shooting a RH rifle left handed, I do it myself on a regular basis and don't see the issue, especially with an AR. IMO it's more of an issue with a bolt gun just because that bolt and right hand comes back towards your face, but either one can be dealt with easily. For you guys who don't practice shooting from your "weak" side, either left or right, why not?