Now the rest of the story. This is my first full hunting season as a Montana resident, but far from my first time hunting the state. First season as a resident for me brother as well. Opening day was very warm and activity was slow. We actually spotted three small bulls, but they where not worth pursuing. Brother was tapped out on vacation as he just started a new job and I found out just prior to the opener that I would be starting a new job. As a result opening weekend might be our only chance. We agreed to hunt all day for bulls and if we didnt find any shooters to both take cows. As it ended up we did just that. About two hours before dark we headed into the timber to try and get on some cows we had seen enter earlier in the day. Before going in to far i decided to try a little cow calling and see what happened. I sent my brother around behind me to watch a draw I couldn't see from my postion. After a few calls I waited about 30 min and began walking over to my brother. When I got to him he was prone and ready to shoot. I looked down range just long enough to see three cows standing broadside in the timber. I began to take my rifle off my shoulder to jack in a shell but it became entangled in my pack. I dropped the hole works brother shot, then barrel rolled over I plopped down and shot a second cow with the gun he was using. Me nor my brother can determine why he had decided to roll over like that, but it worked and in a few seconds we had two cows down. We ended up quartering both animals out, moving the meat away from the kill site and burrying it in the snow that was still present in the timber. Ended up packing out two fronts and all the loins and hearts that night. Came back the next morning, deboned the remaining quarters and packed the rest out in one trip.