Originally Posted by Reba

Belgium Sweet 16. Vent Rib, Modified. When you find one under $1,000 please let me know

Thanks

If you are in the Central Coast region of California it isn't surprising that you find prices higher than most of the rest of the country. The Internet gun sites are not much better though one can find some decent deals on the auction house sites.

You could try any smaller gun shop or gun show in MN, IA, western WI, or probably the Dakotas and probably find something that meets your description for under $1000. They don't grow on trees but they are not as rare as hen's teeth either. When I was "collecting" A-5s I bought most of my better condition guns out of Arizona. Prices were a lot more reasonable than here as there was a lot less demand for shotguns there. All the retiree's probably helped as it brought guns there where there was less demand.

I was just at a Cabela's last night and saw a 16 ga A-5 for $650. It had a solid rib rather than ventilated, Full choke rather than Mod, and may not have been a Sweet 16 (I didn't take it down to look for the differences) but for the price one could have the choke reamed out and be well under $1000. For a max of 8 oz, I do not think the price premium asked between the standard and Sweet 16 is worth it, especially when one could get within a few ounces with some alterations.

If one is looking for a shooter and not a "collectible" then picking up a plain barrel A-5 with a Poly-Choke and having it threaded for choke tubes and adding a vent rib should get one a gun under $1000. One probably could get the whole works reblued and still be under that mark with some shopping around. Refinishing the wood would bring things over a grand unless one did the work themselves. This is just a suggestion to provoke thought in other possibilities. Sometimes function/appearance trumps originality.