Outstanding! It sounds like you had a fine experience with the outfitters, and I'm glad to learn that there are still a good number of elk in the area. You did well!

I was a little surprised that the altitude was relatively modest where you found them. I'm pretty ignorant of such things, but down here in NM where I expect to do most of my hunting (at my age), we live at 6800 feet. NM does have much higher mountains, but being acclimated really makes it more pleasant.

Some say that we are actually in the golden age of elk hunting, in that there are more than in past decades. OTOH, some areas seem to have very sparse herds this year. I'm guessing that the various conservation efforts, both good and bad, have a lot to do with the variations.

Were you out there for the entire time of your booked hunt? Did the weather vary much?

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).