Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I’ll just be happy to make it to "next year"!

Yep, me too! I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Ben and Bob, let's not hear any more moaning. You are both comparative youths compared to me!

While I've figured out what to take for my late December NM private land hunt the year, it is fun to anticipate what would be best for next as well.

This year will be a 30-06 LH Model 70 that I actually bought on the 'Fire a few years ago from a fine guy in Farmington, NM. It has a 6X Leupold and I will use 180 gr Federal Nosler Partitions or Federal 2000 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw cartridges I feel very comfortable with 30-06s and have several.

I will also bring (and may shoot) a 300 WSM LH model 70 Custom Shop beauty with match grade barrel. It has a 3x9 Cabela's Meopta sight. Also similar Federal 180 gr ammo.

The outfitter says to expect 200 yard shots at this time of year, as the herds know all about hunters.

For next, year, my hunting partner, a lifelong NM fellow, and I hope to draw in one of the public land NM areas he has hunted before, so conditions and time of year will be different. I am toying with bringing my .348 Winchester Model 71 with peep sight for that one, since the opportunities will hopefully be closer. If that is the case, I may shoot reloads as I have found some good brass and bullets.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).