Yesterday, while straightening up my gun safe, I took out my MkV .300 Weatherby, which hasn't been used for several years- last time was 5 years ago, on a successful bull elk hunt. Since, I have been 'guiding' my sons on their elk hunts, just going along to drive, spot, gut, skin, etc. etc.

Next year, it's my turn again, with enough points built up to draw in the unit I want. With a stable of very accurate, adequate elk rifles in the safe, like a .30-06, .280, .270 WSM, and my .300, a choice of what to use can be (is) bewildering at times.
Anyway- today was a windless, sunny day, so I decided to go to the range with my neglected .300 Wby. and some of my 165 gr. Barnes TSX handloads. After a fouler, I began with what was a string of sub-MOA groups with my Wby. Sure, it makes more noise, has more recoil, and at 8.5# all up, a bit heavier than my other rifles, but shooting my old MkV brought back memories of past successful hunts with her, in CO, WY, Africa, and even Mongolia for a Gobi Ibex.

Nowadays, she wears a Mcmillan Edge stock which is glass bedded and free floated, barrel recrowned sometime in the past, Talley mounts and rings, and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope. If/when I draw again here in CO, I think the .300 will once again go hunting!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....