Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
How much ???

$450

I realized a long time ago that I have absolutely no use for guns I was only supposed to use carefully or not at all. Heck, if restoring/refinishing makes it more useful, unless the gun in question was George Washington’s fave or something I’m all over it.

$450? You prob’ly can’t get a Yldiz at Academy for that anymore , let alone a classic yet functional period piece. I see that shotgun and I wish it could talk 😎

Congrats on a great find.

Nagel’s?

Birdie,
There is nothing wrong with restoring and refinishing per se. But it does have to be done correctly. That was not, to the point the gun is unsafe.

I'm just trying to save Ed some fingers, and maybe a few other folks won't get burned by another shyster like EdM was. It is NOT a great find. It's a disaster bordering on criminal.

Well hey, ya learn something new every day, tks. I gotta admit tho, after briefly perusing the links I still don’t have a eye to judge case hardening. Seems like a lot of time and trouble to go to and then do poorly. If the piece were found at Drury’s or Nagel’s here both these places IIRC have working Gunsmiths on staff, but who knows if anyone who knows case hardening looked over this gun?

Certainly an issue to be addressed.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744