Stormin_Norman: I understand your points. Yep, a set of injectors is expensive. I’ve owned a diesel before and my folks had 2 diesel vehicles and we never had any injector problems. In reality what are the odds that the injectors will need replacement? How many miles would I expect to get out of a set of Cummins injectors? I know if they’re maintained properly, a Cummins can last 500K+ miles.

A fellow I know just purchased a ’15 RAM 1500 Sport with the 5.7. It’s definitely a nice truck. He paid $35K. I should be able to eventually find a 2014 2500 6.7 w/ ~ 75K miles for a bit under $40K as I’ve found a few recently, but they sold.

My primary vehicle requires 8.5 quarts of oil. I use Royal Purple, so it’s not cheap, nor are the maintenance costs. I also use premium grade fuel, so the jump to diesel is only marginally more expensive. I can’t imagine a 2014 RAM Cummins would cost much more to maintain, in fact, it’s probably considerably cheaper than the maintenance/restoration costs I’ve been shelling out this past few years, that is, unless there’s an injection or other engine issue, as you stated. But I’m banking on the legendary durability of the Cummins. Perhaps that’s naïve, I don’t know. What say you?

Should I end up with a 6.7 Cummins, I plan on keeping it well over 100K miles. Although I probably won’t do a heck of a lot of towing, I will do some. I will haul a fair amount of equipment in the bed and use it for lots of long road trips. Around town, I won’t use it much for trips less than 20 miles or so.

I’ve still got some time to decide. The 2 jobs I just successfully interviewed for (the same company, different locations) pay about 2/3s less than the competitive going rate, so they’re a no-go. I’m through taking jobs for low-pay with promises of promotion and salary increase, only to work my tail off and have them renege.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/17/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue