I have seen the full series of the Netsilik movies several times. Used to get them out of UAF, IIRC. We showed them to the kids and adults alike in Pt Hope. One of the adults even tried hunting seals that way, and was successful. After two, he quit. "Too much work. It's cold, too!"

I have in my temporary possession, Charlie Sheldon's Eskimo Scout rifle, given him by Muktuk Marsten. Charlie - uh - "customized" it, hunted with it for years, after the war, his widow gave it to a friend. I'm supposed to restore it to somewhat original form when I get to it. Replacement barrel, sights, and stock, for starters. I better hurry, as the owner is older than I am!

I was living in Pt Hope during the move. The last occupied buildings / folks out of the old site were the school and teachers. Students were brought the mile or so to school at the old site for a year or two in a Rolligan (giant tired tundra truck) due to blizzard and polar bear hazard.

Dr.Jake, who practiced BIA dentistry out of Kotzebue for all the villages around for years said "The farther up river you get, the poorer the people get, and the better their teeth get". This was due to relative availability of sugar and other western foods.

As for the elder respect thing, back in the day one had to be tough, observant, with a good memory and integration facility, and no small amount of just plain luck just to live long enough to become an elder, who were the repositories of wisdom, learning, practices, and tradition. That, and with the parents working full time on subsistence, the older, less physically able grandparents often were majorily the children's upbringing. There is still great (at least nominally) elder respect among those folks.

Now days, with integration into western culture, with it's less demanding survival mode, any damned fool can become an "elder". And most do.

Just look around the Campfire....... smile

I took exactly one overnight hunting/camping trip out of Pt Hope with white-man's food, then I took to carrying (also as emergenciy ration) frozen tomcod and a 4 inch square of Bowhead muktuk. When I could get it, which was usually. That's enough caloric value for a couple days if necessary. A half inch square warms you right up if one gets a little chilly, too. The tomcod was just filler.

Muktuk takes a little getting used to, with the biggest downside (besides availability for a white guy) is that 30 minutes after one eats it, one's breath could stop a charging Cape buffalo in it's tracks at 10 paces. Pretty sure, anyway. Cape buffalo are fairly rare in the Arctic.

Last edited by las; 11/20/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.