"The guy had steel runners!"

Are you speaking of the Netsilik movie? IIRC, in one scene, he made a sled from materials at hand- a few driftwood sticks or caribou leg bones, arctic char, caribou hide, mud, and water.

He wrapped these big fish end to end in a wet caribou hide and froze them for runners, added mud and ice to the bottoms for wear (and renewable) , attached the runners together with a few driftwood sticks. Or maybe it was caribou leg bones, I disremember that part. Darned ingenious. And one could eat much of it later!

All over the beach areas in Pt Hope one could (can still?) find small 2-4 inch long sections of bone, about an inch to an inch and a half wide - likely caribou rib - with holes drilled in them apparently to use on the bottom of sled runners. My guess, anyway. Seemed too plentiful to be arrow scrapers or straighteners, and that's all I could think of.

I think the Netsilik also used a fan shape dog team, rather than "in-line", at least part of the time. My recollections of those movies are 45 years old, so may not be entirely accurate.

Last edited by las; 11/20/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.