Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by leomort
The_Real_Hawkeye and Allen917,

Yes, I hear you regarding sp primer in 45acp. I currently have large primer 45acp brass on hand and hate it when a small primer brass gets by me as well. Having said that I'm debating whether to make the switch for logistic reason for two reason. One, 45acp large primer brass is a little hard to find but suppliers often have the small primer version available at same price as thehir larger. Second, I feel like a Star-Trek borg encounter regarding the small primer 45acp. In that resistance is futile as I think manufacturers will slowly phase-in small primer 45acp due to the "lead" disguise.

Is there a performance hindrance moving to small pistol primer vs large?

Starline makes really nice LP 45acp brass for a good price. So availability isn’t a problem.
They are definitely a pain in the ass to sort.
Is there a performance difference? Not that I have ever noticed, and in my opinion a large primer is not needed for the powder charge in the 45ACP. Why the Large primer was used in the first place I don’t know.
After having collected a hundred SP brass as range pickups I did a little testing.
100 SP using 200 gr hardcasts, 7.8 grs. AA5, CCI standard.
100 LP using same bullet, powder and CCI standard.
Just mixed em in a baggie and fired them off. As above I never noticed a difference since I loaded by just grabbing from the bag.Not my favored brass since I have a lifetime supply of LP brass.

That's me too with a lifetime supply of surplus military 45 brass. And you are correct that there isn't any performance difference that I have been able to notice between large and small cases. But my 45 ACP loading get up is set up for LG pistol primers like God intended and I hate to change it. laugh

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....