Originally Posted by las
I own (from back in 70's) a TC 50 Hawkin, built from a kit, a factory-built TC .45 Seneca, plus another Cabelas .45, Hawkin type, Italian made, I think - also kit built - given to me some years later as a completed rifle. All have 45 (48?) twist barrels - bad idea! What the heck were they thinking? Me - I didn't know any better then, but they should have.

6" group, across the bench at 100 is a good group with any of them, whether round ball or maxi-types. And trust me, I've tried durn near everything, including glass bedding. Fun to shoot, but lousy in the way of accuracy. I have carried the .50 moose (big target!) hunting a few times without luck, but my CO brother (who has had it for 20 years or so) has taken one deer with it at under 50 yards. All in all, I 'm not that big a fan of TC.....

If I was a serious BP hunter, I might consider re-barreling the .50 with a proper twist for maxis, but probably would not, except as a hobby. I certainly would never again buy anything with a compromise twist!

Inline (of which I own 0,) would be a better way to go for a hunting rifle, if allowed.

If I ever did buy another BP Hawkin style, it would be a .54. Always liked the looks of the Renegade. Well, I like the looks of my currently owned TC's too, but looks aren't much of anything for downing meat.
Must be your particular rifles or what you're loading them with. My .50 T/C Hawken is very accurate with .490" balls wrapped in .015" pre cut patches seated over a wonder wad and 75 grains of Goex FFFG. It shoots cloverleaf groups at 75 yards with that load. I've killed several deer with it at ranges out to 80 yds. with no complaints.