Originally Posted by Pappy348
100gr is my standard load, but 80gr punched 300gr XTPs through several deer for my sons. Of about a half dozen shot with 290gr T-EZ Barnes bullets, the only recovered one was from a frontal shot that lodged in the spine between the shoulders. That was an 80gr charge too. Really, I think it's mostly about what proves accurate in your gun and maybe just a bit about trajectory. Power is sufficient at any normal charge level. I've had excellent luck with Harvester Crush-Rib sabots, though I think the ones on the Barnes bullets are MMPs. CCI magnum primers are what I prefer, but others have worked well too. Your rifle will tell you what it likes; and shooting it is the only way to find out.

My experience is very similar. 100 gr load under 300 gr XTPs, CCI magnum primers, but use the smooth Harvester sabots. The smooth give me slightly better 3-shot groups, but not by much. Plenty of punch on any deer sized game and passed thru both hogs I've shot with it. Best thing is that XTPs are so cheap to buy in bulk compared to any of the pre-packaged offerings.