I have a 2011 duramax that has been stellar for 120,000 miles except emissions bs, which crops up every had and is a total pita. I tow a 26' travel trailer around 3-4,000 miles per year, much of it through the west. The latest cel on is another emissions related light. I have a decision to make.

1. Fix the problem by deleting the emission controls. This would give me a more powerful, efficient, and reliable truck. I would also devalue the truck quite a bit on any kind of trade or sale, as well as increasing noise and making the dealer nearly unwilling to work on it. It would also leave me with the Bosch fuel pump failure (big bucks) as a real possibility. I also could not register it in emissions states (I don't I've in one right now).

2. Fix the sensor and drive on, keeping on fixing emissions stuff as it happens. I have read dpf's are rated for around a 110-120,000 mile life and I am there. I don't see the system becoming more reliable with age. I have replaced NOx sensors, def tanks, etc all under warranty. The warranty is now gone.

3. Fix the sensor and trade or sell to get a new HD gasser. I actually have a gas HD in the family and other than towing, it is better for a daily driver. I just don't know how much I am going to miss the diesel in long pulls. I have only pulled with a gas 1/2 ton (sucked). I towed maybe 80 moves with a gas HD. It seemed fine but they were easy miles.

For what it's worth, if truck were stolen or otherwise gone today, I would purchase a gas HD over a diesel.

What says the fire?