IMO, after seeing my 350 work on WT, a 225 Sierra is a great bullet on deer, but one did get stopped on a 10 point my buddy took. Great expansion at around 200 yds. Deer was basically DRT. A 225 NPT would probably have exited, not that it would have mattered though it would be My choice on Elk. When a mishap happened with ammo at the airport he freaked out going to New Mexico but found some factory 200 RP and slayed a HUGE bull. I believe that RP May be the Hornady SP. IMHO it’s lacking in SD and BC. To me a 225 is where you want to be in 358. 140-158 handgun bullets are heck on milk jugs to 200-300 yds, and would ruin a coyote.

In 338F, hard to go wrong with a 185 Barnes, good 200 if COL allows potential powder room to get speeds up, and the 215/225 PT.

Both best up to 300 yds but one can stretch if you get placement with expansion. Penetration should not be an issue, especially as expansion drops over distance, decreasing frontal area which impedes penetration.

Many hunting situations can be well handled with a properly loaded 338 or 358 as many here have proven. LR hunting hype is what keeps selling hi-velocity to many who rarely need it. LOTS of game is taken and presented at short to modest ranges.

Last edited by 65BR; 12/12/18.