Originally Posted by cast10K
I think the 270 is a solid choice but reading these threads sometimes I wonder why it's the automatic default, and choosing anything else requires justification? The logic seems to be that it's ballistically a close 2nd place to the PRC, so the 270 wins. The burden of proof is always on the cartridge it's being compared to, and the challenger has to not only beat it, but beat it by a wide margin.

If a guy doesn't own either one, why would he pick the 270 other than factory guns and ammo? Not everyone owns a 270 to begin with.

The PRC is a lot of trouble? How so? We've got KISS advocates on here who have time to rack up tens of thousands of posts, but they don't have time to reload, rebarrel or wring out a new rifle.

Like I said, just makes me wonder.

Nothing wrong with the .270 and it does have a huge advantage over the 6.5PRC when it comes to choices in factory firearm and ammo options. That said, it is not the default when Daughter #1 and I consider her options for something with more reach (think drop and retained velocity and energy) than her .308 Win. Both have a good selection of bullets, but in the bullet types and weights I prefer to use the 6.5’s have the advantage in B.C.

As far as “the challenger has to not only beat it, but beat it by a wide margin”, I disagree. If I was going to choose between the 6.5PRC and .270 Win, I’ll take the 65.5PRC all day long. Ballistically, it beats the .270 Win by about 100 yards. Firearm options for the PRC are not what I want, but I’d get a donor and put a custom barrel on it – ending up with the rifle I want rather than what is available.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.