Originally Posted by gbf
Originally Posted by BangPop
Originally Posted by gbf
An assumption I would make though, and probably a pretty safe one, is that Manson’s or Kiff’s action truing kit is likely a money maker for a real gunsmith in terms of time saved while producing a very quality product.

Those systems save time for the gunsmith and therefore are a money maker. The only problem the "very quality product" isn't actually true when they get finished. A tap will follow the hole (you know the hole that's not on center and radially out as well) no matter how many bushings are guiding it. There's only one way to get it right and it's not with a tap.

I’ve read that argument also. Have you ever used one and measured the results?

I have checked the results of the guided tap method. It's not difficult to check the quality of the work by chucking up a cutoff stub and cutting a shoulder and threading it. Put a good mandrel in the bolt way of the receiver and snug it up on the stub that is still in the lathe. Put a indicator on the mandrel and check the runout. The piloted tap method move the centerline closer to correct and take out some of the radial problems as well, but it will not true the action. The only way to get it right is single point trueing in a lathe with good setup practices and good work holding capabilities. The take home message to those considering action trueing services is BUYER BEWARE. Know what it takes to get the job done right.