The only way I could afford it is that I really think the seller substantially "undermarketed" it. It was consigned to a dealer/gun store that had no idea who Lenard Brownell was or why that should affect the value of the gun.

I had the gun shipped through D'Arcy Echols' shop. I always just use a pawn shop here in town as my FFL transfer agent, but I just did not trust them with this one. I also suspected D'Arcy might like to see it so in fact had only told him it was a Remington 700 in .270--nothing special. When I arrived at his shop-- about 2 hours after it arrived--he actually had it taken apart. The bolt release was hanging up and not engaging correctly. Just one tap with a punch got a pin back in place and the release moving correctly. D'Arcy said he opened the case,took one look at the fleurs, and said "holy [bleep], its a Brownell." He had actually stopped by and met Lenard back in the 1970's and told me a couple of stories. D'Arcy did ask me what I paid for it, and when told, responded "Power buy!" so I don't think I got gouged.

But the purpose of buying it is not to flip it and make a few bucks. All y'all know that I am trying to do some stock whittling, because I really like the classic wooden stocked guns. I make my own stocks because "sweat equity" is the only way a lefty on my income strata is going to get anything out of the ordinary. I grew up reading too much Jack O'Connor, and lusting after his Beisens. My first big game rifle was a Remington 700 in .270 Win that my father purchased for me when I was about 15, so it is nice coming back around full circle. I have McMillan/stainless/turreted scope setups as well, but they don't float my boat the same. I suppose if I threw my rifles in the creek when I was steelhead fishing I might think a little differently about it. I think I know what I will carry the next time I draw an antelope buck tag in Wyoming. Now that seems fitting.